The Financial Aid and Scholarships Office provides a Family Contribution Appeal process, formerly known as the Special Circumstance Appeal process. Family Contribution Appeals are reviewed by staff regarding changes to a family's financial situation, based on new information submitted by the student. On exception, the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office will consider changes to the student's available aid based on the information provided. Family Contribution appeals are processed during fall quarter only and will be made available on October 1st, 2018. The deadline to submit an appeal for 2018-2019 was December 15, 2018.
Completing a Family Contributions Appeal is the process which allows students/families to address income changes in the current calendar year versus the previous year. The income change may result in a revision to the Expected Family Contribution (EFC), and any change in the EFC will help our office determine whether a student becomes eligible for additional financial aid.
- The deadline to submit an appeal for 2018-2019 was December 15, 2018.
- Additional third-party documentation requested should be submitted by February 15, 2019. Failure to submit by this deadline may result with a rescinded appeal.
- Family Contribution Appeals for 2019-2020 will become available after October 1, 2019.
CHANGES WARRANTING A REVIEW ARE LIMITED TO THE SPECIFIC SITUATIONS BELOW:
- Child or spousal support
- Out of pocket medical costs not covered by insurance from between January and December of the prior calendar year. Expenses must not exceed medical expenses as allowed by financial aid regulations.
- Change in the number of family members in the household whom you or your parents provide more than 50% support.
Please allow 4-6 weeks for processing time as Family Contribution Appeals will be reviewed in order received.
You will be notified by the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office when your appeal has been processed, or if any additional information is required.
Please note, if selected for verification, your appeal will not be reviewed until after verification has been completed.
LOSS OF INCOME/RESOURCES:
As a result of layoff/unemployment, disability, retirement, death, divorce/separation, child or spousal support
If applicable, the following documentation required:
- Anticipated income for the remaining months of 2018
- Three (3) most current pay stubs from each job held between January and December 2018
- Complete 2017 tax return transcript and 2017 W-2(s)
- If laid off, letter of termination from employer and copy of final pay stub
- Notice of unemployment insurance award
- Disability benefits eligibility letter
- Retirement benefits statement
- Death Certificate
- Any information about income from death (i.e., life insurance, death benefits, pension plans)
- Divorce decree or statement of separation
- Agency verification of loss or reduction of benefits
- Court/legal documentation (child/spousal support) verifying date support ends
OUT-OF-POCKET MEDICAL COSTS NOT COVERED BY INSURANCE
Expenses must not exceed medical expenses as allowed by financial aid regulations. Expenses must have been paid by parents or students between January 2018, and December 2018.
- Receipts and/or billing statements from medical provider(s) that the family or student has paid out of pocket. Past due or unpaid bills are not accepted.
- Itemized statement from insurance company documenting costs not covered by insurance.
Please complete and attach the Itemized Medical Expenses Form when submitting your appeal.
CHANGES IN THE NUMBER OF FAMILY MEMBERS
Include any changes to the number of family members. These family members must be someone for who you, or your parents, provide more than 50% support.
- Provide a detailed statement explaining the reason for the change.
- List names, ages, relationships, and number in college.