Special Circumstances Review for Parental and/or Student Contribution
The Financial Aid and Scholarships Office provides a Special Circumstance Appeal process, which allows staff to review changes to a family's financial situation based on new information submitted by the student. On an exceptional basis, the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office will consider changes to the student's available aid based on the information provided. Special Circumstance forms are processed during fall quarter only, and the deadline to submit an appeal for 2016-2017 was December 15.
Completing a Special Circumstances Appeal form is the process that allows students/families to address income changes in the current calendar year versus the previous year. The income change may result in a revision to the Expected Family Contribution (EFC), and any change in the EFC will help our office determine whether a student becomes eligible for additional financial aid.
Please note the types of changes that warrant review are limited to the specific situations noted below:
- Child or spousal support
- Out of pocket medical costs not covered by insurance from between January and December of the prior calendar year. Expenses must not exceed medical expenses as allowed by financial aid regulations.
- Change in the number of family members in the household whom you or your parents provide more than 50% support.
Due to the high workload, please allow for processing time as Special Circumstances Appeals will be reviewed in order received during the Fall Quarter.
You will be notified by the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office when your appeal has been processed or if any additional information is required.
Please note, if selected for verification, your appeal will not be reviewed until after verification has been completed.
In addition to the Special Circumstance Appeal form, you will be asked to provide the following:
- A detailed, written statement explaining the reason(s) for the parent’s and/or student’s change of income in the current calendar year versus the previous year, including specific dates of change. Attach additional documentation as required; please review the information listed below.
- A signed federal tax return from the previous tax year for parent and/or student. Include all schedules, W-2s, and/or applicable attachments.
On the Special Circumstance Appeal form you will be asked to complete an estimated calendar year income January-December for the current year, in which you will provide information only for the person(s) who is/are documenting the change in income.
LOSS OF INCOME/RESOURCES:
As a result of layoff/unemployment, disability, retirement, death, divorce and/or child or spousal support
- Job Loss
- Three (3) most current pay stubs from each job held between January-December of the current year
- If laid off, letter of termination from employer and copy of final pay stub
- Notice of unemployment insurance award
- Retirement benefits statement
- Disability benefits eligibility letter
- Agency verification of loss of benefits
- Death Certificate
- Any information about income from death (i.e., life insurance, death benefits, pension plans)
- Divorce decree or statement of separation
- Court/legal documentation (child/spousal support) verifying date support ends
MEDICAL COSTS (NOT COVERED BY INSURANCE)
Expenses must not exceed medical expenses as allowed by financial aid regulations.
EXPENSES MUST HAVE BEEN PAID BY PARENTS OR STUDENT BETWEEN JANUARY-DECEMBER.
- Receipts and/or billing statements from medical provider(s) that the family or student has paid out of pocket. Past due or unpaid bills are not accepted.
- Itemized statement from insurance company documenting costs not covered by insurance.
CHANGES IN THE NUMBER OF FAMILY MEMBERS
Include any changes to the number of family members. THESE FAMILY MEMBERS MUST BE SOMEONE FOR WHOM YOU OR YOUR PARENTS PROVIDE MORE THAN 50% SUPPORT
- Provide a detailed statement explaining the reason for the change.
- List names, ages, relationships, and number in college.