Changes That May Affect Your Aid


If selected for Verification, the Financial Aid Office may request additional documents to verify the information on your financial aid application. We cannot disburse financial aid until all verification and documentation requirements are satisfied.

All financial aid awarded is subject to change after verification.

Changes in Enrollment

If you reduce the number of units you are taking, change your enrollment status to part-time with the Office of the University Registrar, or are receiving a staff fee reduction, you may be required to repay financial aid already received. Full-time enrollment is 12 or more units per quarter. Financial Aid cannot be disbursed to students who are on a waiting list for courses/units.

Complete and submit to the Financial Aid Office a Change In Aid form online through MyAwards for any of the following circumstances:

  • change to part-time status: If you are on official part-time status through the Office of the University Registrar the cost of attendance for the quarter will be reduced to reflect the amount of the part-time fees versus the amount of the full-time fees, and financial aid is adjusted accordingly. Please be aware that students must be enrolled in at least 6 units in order for financial aid to disburse to a student's account.
  • report returning from Planned Educational Leave Program
  • request additional Direct Loan
  • request loan instead of Work-Study
  • request Work-Study instead of loan
  • report additional scholarships or other resources received during the academic year
  • adjusting summer units. For more information on the impact on Summer aid visit the section Return of Title IV Funds and Refund Policies.

Repeating a Course for a Second Time:

In regards to financial aid eligibility, a student cannot receive financial aid for repeating a course a second time if the course was previously passed; Federal and State funding considers a passing grade to be a D- or better, regardless of any school or program policy requiring a higher qualitative grade or measure to have been considered to have passed the course.

If you are a financial aid recipient appealing to your Dean's office to take a course as a second repeat, you are advised to consult with the Financial Aid Office prior to the appeal submission regarding any effect to your financial aid eligibility. Visit the Office of the University Registrar's website for more information on repeating a course and illegal course repeats.

Special Circumstances

Students or parents may request review of extraordinary circumstances not included on the FAFSA. Situations that we will review include loss of employment or income, death in the family, divorce or separation, or significant medical expenses. Documentation will be required. For more information, please contact the Financial Aid Office.


In order to remain eligible to receive your full Cal Grant and/or Pell Grant award, you must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 units at the census date every quarter. The census date occurs typically the 15th day of instruction. If you are enrolled in less than 12 units on the census date, your Cal Grant and/or Pell Grant will be reduced or prorated accordingly after the census date has passed, which may result in a charge on your student account. Please refer to the chart below for the prorated percentages based on enrollment.

Enrollment Status Units % Disburse
Less than Half-time

  Less than 6



  6 - 8.5


Three-quarter time

  9 - 11.5



  12 or more