Frequently Asked Questions

Below are answers to some of the questions students are most concerned about.

What if I have changes to report or request? 

You can report changes to your student status in MyAwards by selecting the blue “Awards” tab, and then select “Request Change In Aid”. Be sure to also report any outside awards such as scholarships, as any delays can have a direct impact on your eligibility for aid. 

If I do not accept my loan now, can I accept it at a later date? 

Yes, you can accept all or a portion of your loans at any time throughout the academic year. For 2016-2017, students have until May 15, 2017 to accept their loans.

How is financial aid awarded at UC Davis? 

For detailed information on our packaging policy, please see our Determining Financial Aid for UC Davis Undergraduates webpage.

What is "Early FAFSA" and Prior-Prior Year?

Starting with the 2017­–18 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) and California Dream Act Application, the following changes have been put in place: 

  • Students are now able to submit a FAFSA® or DREAM application earlier.  Students have been able to file a 2017–18 FAFSA or DREAM since Oct. 1, 2016, rather than beginning on Jan. 1, 2017. The earlier submission date is a permanent change enabling students to complete and submit a FAFSA or DREAM as early as Oct. 1 every year. The submission deadline, however, is still the same as previous years. The 2017-18 FAFSA and DREAM Act Application must be successfully submitted by March 2, 2017.
  • Students now report earlier income information. Beginning with the 2017–18 FAFSA and DREAM, students are required to report income information from an earlier tax year. For example, on the 2017–18 FAFSA and DREAM, students (and parents, as appropriate) must report their 2015 income information, rather than their 2016 income information.

Why is Prior- Prior Year helpful to students?

  • It can help streamline college application process by filling out FAFSA at same time.
  • Allows more time to resolve income requirements and understand the institutions cost information.
  • Increases likelihood that students and families report income through the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
  • Allows families to make more informed decisions.

What if my 2016 income has changed adversely compared to the income on the 2015 taxes?

If there is a decrease in income from 2015 to 2016, you may be eligible for the special circumstance appeal through our office. With this appeal, our office reevaluates financial need of the student based on the information provided. For more information on the appeal, please follow the link below:

What is the timeframe for the appeal process?

The timeframe for any appeal is 4-6 business weeks upon review. Please take this timeframe into account when planning payment deadlines.

What is the DRT and how can it be useful to me as a student?

The IRS Data Retrieval Tool allows students and parents to access their IRS tax return information needed to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and transfer tax data directly into their FAFSA from the IRS website.

If you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, we highly recommend using the tool for several reasons:

  • It’s the easiest way to provide students’/parents’ tax data.
  • It’s the best way of ensuring that your FAFSA has accurate tax information.
  • You won’t need to provide a copy of your or your parents’ tax returns to your college.

If you are ineligible or otherwise choose not to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to retrieve tax information, the Department of Education may select your FAFSA Application for verification, which requires you to turn in your and/or your parents’ tax transcripts and supporting documentation to our Financial Aid Office. If selected for verification, you will be notified by the end of June through your MyAwards. 

How will I know the Financial Aid Office has received my 2016-17 FAFSA or DREAM application?

Once you successfully complete the FAFSA or DREAM application, you will receive a notification from FAFSA or California Student Aid Comission stating that your application has been sent to the designated schools. We will begin downloading financial aid applications into our system in February/March.

If I am admitted for Winter 2017, will I still be eligible for financial aid and scholarships?

Yes, as long as you submitted your UC application by the November 30, 2016 deadline and you have a 2016-2017 financial aid application (FAFSA or California Dream Act Application) on file. If you have not yet submitted your financial aid application, please visit or as soon as possible. It is also important that you list UC Davis (school code of 001313) as one of your schools on your FAFSA or California Dream Act application.

If you are admitted for Winter 2017, you will be able to view your financial aid and/or scholarship offers through MyAwards before submitting your Statement of Intent to Register (SIR). You can also use our Net Price Calculator at any time to estimate your cost of attendance, financial aid and net cost.

When will my Winter quarter aid disburse and refund be available?

Winter 2017 aid will disburse by December 30, as long as all elegibility requirements are satisfied. Winter Quarter financial aid refunds will be available through Direct Deposit or Student Accounting for eligible students on January 6th. 

How will my aid change if I go part-time?

You will have to petition for part-time status with the Office of University Registrar. If you have any questions on what qualifies as part-time status, please contact the Registrar's Office through Contact an Expert. If your part-time status petition for next quarter is approved by the Registrar's Office, you would have to submit a Change-in-Aid form which you can access through the requirements page on your MyAwards. If you are a part-time student, the Registrar's office will reduce your tuition by a certain amount. Moreover, when you turn in the Change-in-Aid form, your financial aid package will adjust to reflect the decrease in tuition. If you want to know how much tuition decreases by when you are a part-time student, please contact the Registrar's Office.

Keep in mind if you are receiving Cal Grant and/or Pell Grant, they are both unit sensitive, which means if you are enrolled in less than 12 units only a percentage of these grants will disburse based off of how many units you are enrolled in.

Here is a link to how the number of units you are enrolled in affect your financial aid disbursement:

How will my aid change if I live Off campus vs. On campus?

Since off-campus housing is cheaper than on-campus housing, your budget would be reduced and you will be receiving less aid compared to on-campus housing. This difference is due to the decrease in costs for off-campus housing. Therefore, you will receive the same coverage, but less aid due to the decrease in budget.

The following link provides a breakdown between the differences of on-campus housing and off-campus housing for this academic year.

I’m going to study abroad this summer. What kind of aid is available?

Limited funds are available for UC Davis undergraduates who:

  • Filed a 2016-2017 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application
  • Meet other campus basic requirements for aid eligibility (for example, maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress standards, not be in default on student loans, not be in overpayment of a federal grant, etc.)
  • Have not filed to graduate for Spring Quarter 2017

AND meet one of the following criteria:

  • Currently enrolled at UC Davis during Spring Quarter 2017
  • On an approved Planned Educational Leave Program (PELP) during Spring Quarter 2017
  • Freshman or transfer student admitted for Fall Quarter 2017

Summer Abroad Programs:

  • Students participating in a regular summer abroad program will be packaged in the order that they register for classes. Please continue to check our Summer Financial Aid website for updated information as it becomes available.
  • Students participating in a Summer UCEAP Abroad program will be notified of available summer aid through your UC Davis email account.
  • Students participating in an independent summer abroad program are not be eligible for Financial Aid.

Why isn’t my Cal Grant and/or Pell Grant disbursing?

Some types of aid, such as the Pell Grant and Cal Grant, are unit sensitive. This means that the full amount of aid awarded will only pay out if the student is enrolled in at least 12 units. As soon as the student enrolls in the full 12 units, the student can expect the aid to disburse within 24-48 hours. Please keep in mind that waitlisted hours do not count towards the unit count. If you are unable to enroll in 12 units before the fee deadline, please ensure that you pay the difference to avoid being dropped for nonpayment. If you have confirmed enrollment of at least 12 units and your grant has not disbursed, please contact our office.

How do I repay my loans?

For Institutional Loans, contact your loan lender by logging in to to find out your repayment options.  For Federal Loans, log into to determine who your loan lender(s) are.  Then contact your loan lender(s) to determine your repayment options.

Students typically don’t have to start repaying their loans until after graduation or their enrollment status falls below full-time.  Please contact your lender(s) for more information.  You can also visit our Repaying Loans page for additional information.

Hopefully our responses are helpful. If you have any other critical questions or concerns, you can reach our office by visiting our Contact Us webpage.