Federal student loans are available to most students regardless of income and provide a range of repayment options including income-based repayment plans and loan forgiveness benefits, which other education loans are not required to provide.
Alternative education loans (also known as private loans) are an option for financing your education. Federal, state and univeristy policy requires that student borrowers maximize federal loans before the alternative/private loan request is processed. Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act in order to determine student loan eligibility.
StudentAid.gov provides a federal and alternative/private loan comparison. Here are some things to consider:
- Alternative loan eligibility requirements vary from lender to lender.
- Alternative loan lenders can offer variable interest rates that can increase or decrease over time, depending on market conditions.
- Students may also be required to meet citizenship requirements or provide a co-signer who meets citizenship requirements.
- The interest rate on a private loan may depend on the borrower’s and/or co-signer’s credit rating.
- Other eligibility requirements may apply depending on the lender.
- Review the interest rate and processing fees prior to borrowing.
UC Davis is not involved in the alternative loan credit decision. All credit decision questions should be directed to the loan lender. Financial aid eligibility applies to all certifications of loan amounts.
School Certification Process
Financial aid staff will post an alternative loan place holder on MyAwards after a record has been certified. Please note all financial aid holds and requirements that prevent disbursement must be satisfied before the alternative/private loan can be certified. Contact the lender to confirm disbursement status. Contact the Cashier & Payment Solutions Office to confirm the funds have been received.
Preferred Alternative/Private Lender List
The lenders on the preferred alternative/private lender list follow the University of California Code of Conduct in regard to preferred lender arrangements:
- UC Preferred Private Lender List (managed by ELMSelect)