Winners receive up to $7,500 for up to two (2) years toward the pursuit of an undergraduate degree. Students who apply as sophomores, and win the scholarship, will receive the scholarship during their junior and senior years. Students who apply as juniors will receive the scholarship for their senior year.
- U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident, or U.S. national (from American Samoa or the Commonwealth of the Mariana Islands)
- Sophomore or junior at time of application
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater
- Top 25% in class ranking
- Must intend to pursue a research career in mathematics, natural sciences, or engineering
The Barry Goldwater Scholarship is designed to attract outstanding students into research careers in mathematics, the natural sciences, and engineering. Applicants should have a demonstrated record of and interest in research in these areas, typically exemplified through lab participation, independent projects, presentations, or publications.
Applicants should have a sense of their research interests and a sincere desire to pursue a research career. While the scholarship requires a “B” average (cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater), competitive applicants will have a 3.7 or greater cumulative GPA.
Students must be nominated by UC Davis to be eligible for the Goldwater Scholarship. To apply for one of the limited number of campus nominations, students must complete and submit the following documents to the Undergraduate and Prestigious Scholarships Office at firstname.lastname@example.org by the campus deadline listed above:
- Complete Online Goldwater Application - Available annually in September
- Three (3) Page Research Essay
- Three (3) letters of recommendation, see recommendation tips
All applicants who meet the qualifying criteria and submit the above documents by the campus deadline, will be invited to interview with the campus committee to determine the UC Davis nominees. Only the strongest applications from those the committee believes have a legitimate chance of winning the Goldwater Scholarship will be nominated.