Available Grant Awards

Grants are need-based awards that do not need to be repaid as long as the student maintains eligibility. For certain funds (Pell and Cal Grants), disbursement is dependent on enrollment status. For information on disbursement rates, please refer to the chart on our Disbursement and Direct Deposit webpage. For these funds, enrollment status is determined by the number of units registered; waitlisted units do not count towards enrollment status. If a student meets full-time enrollment status at the beginning of the term and falls below after the funds are disbursed, the student may be billed for any excess aid received.

Admitted or continuing students must log in to MyAwards to view their aid package and requirements. The package may include some of the grants listed below.

Orientation Grant

The Orientation Grant is awarded to students with an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) below $5,712. The amount of the grant will vary, and will be based on the orientation fee charge and current housing status.

University Grants

A variety of university grants are awarded to undergraduates who have grant eligibility according to the UC Education Financing Model. University grant funds are limited and awarded to eligible students based on their need and their FAFSA or Dream Act application filing date (priority deadline is March 2). Students must also continue to meet all funding criteria and ensure that any required documentation is completed and submitted in a timely manner. Awards are based on the availability of funding at the time a student’s completed file is processed. This includes awards covered by the UC Blue and Gold Opportunity Plan and the Aggie Grant Plan. University grant funding is not available to cover nonresident supplemental tuition. If you receive additional gift aid, your University Grant award may be reduced. 

Federal Pell Grant

Federal Pell Grants are for undergraduates with demonstrated need who have not earned a bachelor's or professional degree, and who are enrolled at least half-time. The Department of Education determines the student's eligibility for Pell Grant by reviewing their FAFSA information, which produces an Expected Family Contribution (EFC), as indicated on the Student Aid Report (SAR). The amount of Pell Grant the student receives is based on the current year's EFC, the cost of attendance, whether the student is attending full-time or part-time, and whether the student attends school for a full academic year or less. Please note that students may not receive Pell Grant funds from more than one school at the same time. For information on disbursement rates based on enrollment status, please refer to the chart on our Disbursement and Direct Deposit webpage. More information on Pell Grants is available on the Federal Student Aid website.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG)

SEOG grants are for undergraduates with exceptional financial need (students with the lowest Expected Family Contribution), and gives priority to students who receive Pell Grant. Due to limited funding, not every eligible student will receive SEOG; however, if eligible, they may receive another form of grant. If you receive additional gift aid, your SEOG award may be reduced. 

Cal Grants A and B

Students apply for Cal Grant when they submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application (Dream App). First-time Cal Grant applicants are required to submit a GPA Verification form directly to the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) as part of the application process. CSAC determines eligibility and notifies the student by sending a California Aid Report (CAR). Cal Grant disburses each quarter based on enrolled units. Please refer to the chart on our Disbursement and Direct Deposit webpage for more information. After disbursement, if a student is deemed ineligible for CalGrant, they will be required to repay the funds received. If you receive additional gift aid, your Cal Grant award may be reduced. 

  • Cal Grant A and B fee awards are only applied toward tuition.
  • Cal Grant B Access awards can be used to cover costs including living expenses, transportation, books and supplies.
  • For more information regarding Cal Grant eligibility, refer to the CSAC website.
  • Your Cal Grant may be in estimated status until confirmed with CSAC, which typically occurs in August.
  • Transfer students may not have their Cal Grant awards posted to MyAwards until eligibility is confirmed with CSAC. Confirmation typically occurs during fall quarter. If determined to be Cal Grant eligible, the Cal Grant may replace your University Grant eligibility up to the award amount of your Cal Grant.

California Chafee Grant

The California Chafee Grant Program gives money to current or former foster youth to use for career and technical training or college courses. You don’t have to pay this money back as long as you are in school. The Chafee Grant Program, also known as the Education and Training Voucher (ETV), is a federally funded program and is subject to availability of federal funds each year. Students can obtain more information about the Chafee Grant and apply online at the CSAC website.

California Law Enforcement Personnel Dependents Grant

The Law Enforcement Personnel Dependents (LEPD) program provides grants to dependents and spouses of California peace officers (Highway Patrol, marshals, sheriffs, and police officers), Department of Corrections and California Youth Authority employees, or permanent/full-time firefighters employed by public entities that were killed in the line of duty.  Students can obtain more information about the LEPD program and apply online at the CSAC website.

Students with Dependent Children Grant

The University Grant for Students with Dependent Children is awarded to students with children under 18 years old who they support more than 50% and have not received full Cal Grant access for Students with Dependents.

The amount of the grant can be up to $6,000 for the year and will be based on financial need, units enrolled, meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress, and completed financial aid requirements.

To be eligible for the full-time amount, students need to be enrolled in 12 units for the term.

Note: Failure to submit the documentation requested for this process could result in the student being selected for verification to correct information reported on the FAFSA.