Student's studying

Important Updates

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Federal regulations require UC Davis Financial Aid and Scholarships to establish Standards for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).

These standards measure qualitative and quantitative requirements and the maximum timeframe for a student’s progress toward degree completion. For Undergraduate, Graduate, and Veterinary Medicine students to be eligible for financial aid, students must meet these standards. SAP (GPA, Pace of Progression, and Maximum Timeframe) is evaluated annually in July. Failure to maintain these standards will result in the suspension of your financial aid eligibility. However, you have the option to appeal to regain eligibility.

Financial Aid SAP standards are separate and distinct from general academic policies.

For academic policies please refer to the General Catalog. If you need assistance or have questions relating to general academic requirements, please contact an advisor in your program or department.

Students attending the Schools of Law or Health are covered by criteria established by their respective schools.

SAP Standards

SAP standards apply to all coursework attempted, including coursework for which the student did not receive financial aid

GPA: Qualitative 

Students must maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) as indicated below:

  • Undergraduate: 2.0
  • Graduate: 3.0
  • Veterinary Medicine: 2.0

Pace of Progression: Quantitative

Students must complete a minimum of 67% of cumulative attempted coursework/units for their program.

Maximum Timeframe Program Standards

Regardless of whether or not a student has met their maximum timeframe, students are not eligible for additional financial aid funds beyond completion of their degree requirements.

Maximum timeframe information
Degree Program Maximum Timeframe Attempted (150%) * 
Undergraduate 270 units
Second Baccalaureate** 270 units (including undergraduate terms)
Masters 216 units
Doctorate 500 units
Doctorate of Educational Leadership-CANDEL 162 units
Teaching Credential 99 units
Graduate School of Management 108 units
Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine 356 units
Masters of Preventative Veterinary Medicine 75 units
Masters of Forensic Science 81 units
Masters of Maternal and Child Nutrition 54 units
Masters of Professional Accountancy 72 units

* Degree programs and lengths vary. See the General Catalog or contact your Department for the exact length of your program.

** For students considering a Second Baccalaureate, refer to admissions for application and eligibility requirements.

How are Units Treated for SAP?

It depends. Generally, to successfully complete a unit you must receive a grade of A, B, C, D, or P (S for graduate students) in a course.  Grades of F, I, NP (U for graduate students), and NG do not count. If not completed, the units may still be counted as attempted for SAP purposes.

  • Cancellations/Dismissals/Withdrawals/PELP: 

    • Generally, these units do not count as units attempted. However, they could affect degree progress towards the Maximum Timeframe.
  • Remedial Coursework:

    •  Do not count as completed or attempted.
  • AP/Repeat/Transfer Coursework: 

    •  If the Office of the University Registrar counts these as attempted units, this will count equally for SAP.
  • Summer Session(s):  

    • Summer Session coursework is treated the same as coursework completed during the academic year.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Instructions

If students meet SAP standards by the annual evaluation they may regain financial aid eligibility for the following academic year. In general, the annual SAP evaluation occurs in July. Students who lose financial aid eligibility may submit an appeal.

When filing an appeal, provide a full explanation along with detailed documentation (i.e. minimum progress waiver, medical diagnosis) verifying the circumstances that led to the inability to meet SAP. It is also important to examine ways to eliminate deficiencies and provide a realistic plan towards reaching graduation.


Financial Aid SAP Graduation/Academic Plan (Required for Maximum Timeframe Appeal only)

Other Important SAP Appeal Information


Priority deadline: SAP appeals submitted by this date will be reviewed before the fee deadline for each term.
Final deadline: SAP appeals submitted after this date may be reviewed but students may only be eligible for loan consideration.

  • Fall 2022: 
    • Priority deadline: Thursday, September 1, 2022
    • Final deadline: Tuesday, October 18, 2022
  • Winter 2023: 
    • Priority deadline: Thursday, December 1, 2022
    • Final deadline: Thursday, February 6, 2023
  • Spring 2023:
    • Priority deadline: Wednesday, March 1, 2023
    • Final deadline: Friday, April 28, 2023
  • Summer 2023: 
    • Priority deadline: Thursday, June 1, 2023
    • Final deadline: Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Appeals are not considered retroactively for previous terms.


Students with an approved appeal are placed on a probation contract. If the probation contract was met for the term, the student will return to good SAP status for the remainder of the academic year. If the probation contract was not met during the term, financial aid will be canceled for the subsequent term(s).


If your academic progress has been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, please include details of this impact in your appeal. The deadline to submit the SAP Appeal for fall 2021 is August 20, 2021.

Denied Appeals

If a SAP appeal is denied, a Secondary Appeal may be considered. To complete a Secondary Appeal, please submit documentation of your new and/or additional extenuating circumstances that explains why you were not able to maintain SAP during the probation period. The decision on a Secondary Appeal is final.

Please note:

Grades cannot be reviewed until after the next fee payment deadline, so please ensure your account balance is paid. Payment arrangements, such as signing up for the Deferred Payment Plan, may be available through Student Accounting.

Other Resources

Undergraduate advising resources:

Graduate students should seek academic advising/counseling with an appropriate departmental representative.