Work-Study for Graduate Student Researchers

student researchers

Information for Graduate Student Researchers

Financial Aid and Scholarships, in collaboration with Graduate Studies and individual academic departments, awards Work-Study to graduate students based on need. The Federal government pays for a percentage of the costs of Graduate Student Research (GSR) employment. Federal Work-Study is available for students eligible to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA must be completed annually to be considered.

Institutional Work-Study is available to international and AB 540 students who are eligible to work and is also based on need. For AB 540 students who are also undocumented, need is determined by the California Dream Act Application, which must be completed annually to be considered. California Dream Act applicants must also meet Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) requirements to be eligible.

There are a limited number of Federal Work-Study units available to graduate students at the university, so even if you are eligible, your program may not have the units to give you.

Student Eligibility:

For additional information regarding eligibility criteria please contact your Academic Program Coordinator.