student researchers

Important Updates

  • The 2024-25 FAFSA and CADAA applications will open in December 2023. Visit FAFSA Simplification for details.
  • UC Davis students who are victims of the Maui Fires may be eligible for funding. Visit Basic Needs for details.
  • If you have been selected for verification, please complete the requirements as soon as possible. For details, visit Verification.
  • For California Middle Class Scholarship updates, please visit MCS.

Work-Study for Graduate Student Researchers

Information for Graduate Student Researchers

Financial Aid and Scholarships, in collaboration with Graduate Studies and individual academic departments, administers Work-Study funds to graduate students based on need. The Federal government pays for a percentage of the costs of Graduate Student Research (GSR) employment. Federal Work-Study is available for students eligible to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA must be completed annually to be considered. In the School of Education, only Ph.D. students are eligible for Work-Study.

There are a limited number of Federal Work-Study units available to graduate students at the University, so even if you are eligible, your program may not have units available.

Student Eligibility:

  • Complete Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) annually by March 2
  • Be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
  • Identified as eligible for Graduate Work-Study by your academic department
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
  • Work with academic Program Coordinator to inquire about being hired and awarded a Graduate Student Researcher (GSR) Work-Study position. Academic program staff, in conjunction with faculty, hire the GSRs and notify students when Work-Study awards are posted online

For additional information regarding eligibility criteria, please contact your Academic Program Coordinator.