The type of summer funding a student is eligible for is determined by information from a student's FAFSA or California Dream Act Application. Depending on your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), students may be offered a variety of assistance that may be comprised of more than one award type. Factors that may affect financial aid eligibility include income level, enrollment status, residency, grade point average, and aid used during the regular academic year.
Admitted or continuing students must log in to MyAwards to view their aid package and requirements.
Types of aid offered in aid packages may include Grants, Loans, Scholarships, Special Program funds, or Defined Assistance Programs.
Grants are need-based awards that do not need to be repaid as long as the student meets and maintains eligibility. Summer institutional grant funding is limited for non-CA resident students.
California Residents and Non-CA Residents
- Pell Grant
- Disbursement is dependent on enrollment status. Enrollment status is determined by the number of units registered; waitlisted units do not count toward enrollment status. For additional information on Pell disbursement visit Changes in Enrollment.
- Summer University Grant
- Awarded when a student has enrolled and academically participated in 6-9.5 units in one or both sessions.
- Summer Advantage Grant
- Awarded when a student has enrolled and academically participated in 10+ units total in one or both sessions.
Limited to California Residents
- Cal Grant
- Cal Grants will be awarded only to graduating seniors with remaining eligibility. Our office will notify these students after eligibility has been confirmed with the California Student Aid Commission.
- Dream Grant
- For California Dream Act applicants.
- Campus Fee Grant
- The grant is awarded based on need and student enrollment in a minimum of 6 units.
During the summer, students are offered unused loan amounts from the regular academic year. Loans offered may include:
- Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans
- Parent PLUS Loan
- University Student Loan (limited to California residents)
Please see Important Dates for loan deadlines. For more information regarding loans, please visit our Loan section.
Alternative loans are available during the Summer term. Please review eligibility on our Alternative Loans page.