Frequently Asked Questions

This information is subject to change. Please check back often for updates. For questions relating to how the COVID-19pandemic may affect your financial aid, please see COVID-19 FAQs.

  • How do I report or request changes (i.e., loans, housing, enrollment) to my financial aid award letter? 
  • You can report changes to your student status in MyAwards by clicking the Awards tab, and then select Submit a Change in Aid request.
  • What should I do if I receive an outside scholarship award?
  • Be sure to report any outside awards such as scholarships, as soon as possible. Failure to report outside awards may result in a bill and could affect future aid eligibility. You can report this information in MyAwards by clicking the Awards tab, and then select Submit a Change in Aid request.
  • How will my aid change if I live off-campus vs. on-campus?
  • Off-campus housing is generally less expensive than on-campus housing, therefore your Cost of Attendance would be reduced and you would receive less aid compared to a package with on-campus housing. Undergraduate Cost of Attendance provides a breakdown between the differences of on-campus housing and off-campus housing for the current academic year.
  • Are there any additional scholarships available for the upcoming year?
  • The Undergraduate and Prestigious Scholarships Office awards scholarships in advance of each academic year in August. The application period is the fall quarter prior to the academic year to be funded (example: apply in fall 2020 for awards in the 2021-22 academic year). More information can be found at Undergraduate Scholarships.  
  • Are scholarships still available if I have missed the initial application period?
  • All UC Davis students, including students who missed the continuing undergraduate scholarship application period, can find other scholarship opportunities at Outside Scholarships. This site includes many resources such as helpful information on how to search for scholarships and tips for completing scholarship applications.
  • What is EFC?
  • Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is a term used in the United States college financial aid process to determine an applicant's eligibility for need-based student aid. The EFC is calculated by the federal or state processor based on information submitted on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application. The EFC is not an indication of the amount your parent or guardian is expected to pay, but it is used to determine your financial aid need. However, if your parent/guardian is expected to pay, loans will be offered as an option.
  • What is Self-Help?
  • Student self-help is the amount that financial aid recipients may expect to pay towards educational expenses for the academic year that is not covered by their financial aid. This expectation may be covered with loans, scholarships, or earnings from employment.
  • What is Work-Study?
  • Work-Study is awarded to eligible students based on need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application and allows a student to earn financial aid through employment. Instead of a financial aid payment, the student's Work-Study award is paid in the form of a payroll check for time/hours worked. For more information, see Work-Study FAQs.
  • How will I know the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office has received my Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application?
  • Once you successfully complete the FAFSA or the California Dream Act Application, you will receive a notification from FAFSA or the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) stating that your application has been sent to the designated schools. In general, we begin downloading financial aid applications in February/March of each year.
  • If I am admitted for the winter quarter, will I still be eligible for financial aid and scholarships?
  • As long as you have submitted your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application by the March 2 Priority Deadline (of the previous academic year), you may be eligible for financial aid. If you have not submitted your financial aid application by the priority deadline, please visit the FAFSA site or the California Dream Act Application site as soon as possible. It is also important that you list UC Davis (school code of 001313) as one of your schools on your FAFSA or California Dream Act Application. Once you are admitted for the winter quarter, you will be able to view your financial aid and scholarships awards through MyAwards after notifying our office that you are attending the institution through a Change In Aid Form. You can also use our Net Price Calculator at any time to estimate your cost of attendance, financial aid, and net cost.
  • I’m going to study abroad during the summer quarter. What kind of aid is available?
  • Limited funds are available for UC Davis undergraduates who:
    • Filed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application
    • Meet other campus basic requirements for aid eligibility (for example, maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress standards, not be in default on student loans, not be in overpayment of a federal grant, etc.)
    • Have not filed to graduate in the spring quarter of the same academic year

    AND meet one of the following criteria:

    • Currently enrolled at UC Davis during spring quarter of the same academic year
    • On an approved Planned Educational Leave Program (PELP) during spring quarter of the same academic year
    • Freshman or transfer student admitted for fall quarter of the upcoming academic year
  • How will my financial aid be adjusted if I officially go part-time?
  • To be considered part-time and eligible for financial aid, you also need to be enrolled in between 6 to 10 units. If you have already been approved as a part-time status student by the Office of University Registrar, please submit a Change in Aid form, which you can access through the awards page on your MyAwards.

    If you have not yet petitioned for part-time status with the Office of University Registrar, you will need to do so. Once approved as a part-time student, the Registrar's Office will reduce your tuition to reflect part-time fees. Your financial aid will then be reduced by the same amount of your tuition adjustment. Hence, if you normally pay for tuition after your financial aid is applied to your bill, you will pay approximately the same amount. Likewise, if you normally receive a refund, you will receive a similar refund. If you are a recipient of the University Middle Income Grant (UMIG), please contact our office for more information on adjustments.
  • Why isn’t my Cal Grant and/or Pell Grant disbursing?
  • Some types of aid, such as the Pell Grant and Cal Grant, are unit sensitive. This means that if you are enrolled in less than 12 units you will not receive the full amount of the Cal Grant and/or Pell Grant. To understand how the number of units you are enrolled in affects your financial aid disbursement, visit Changes that May Affect Your Aid. Please wait approximately 24 hours to see your unit adjustment reflected in your financial aid. The student can expect the full aid to disburse within 24-48 hours. Please keep in mind that waitlisted hours do not count towards the unit count. If you are unable to enroll in 12 units before the fee deadline, please ensure that you pay the difference to avoid being dropped for nonpayment. If you confirm enrollment of at least 12 units and your grant has not disbursed, please contact our office.

• Currently, staff are answering phones and email. We may be reached by phone or email through Contact Us.
• More Financial Aid and Scholarships FAQs
• For more COVID-19 updates, see the latest COVID-19 campus information.
• Our front desk is currently closed until further notice. Please allow for extended response times.