Nothing is appreciated more than a kind letter of thanks! Many scholarships available at UC Davis are made possible by contributions from generous donors who, through an investment in your future, have expressed their belief in the importance of a college education. A letter of sincere gratitude to our donors may be the key to future gifts to the campus and, therefore, the continued support of exceptional students like you.
Thank-You Letter Hints
- It’s extremely important to pay careful attention to spelling, grammar, and the organization of your letter. Letters may be handwritten or typed but should be limited to one page.
- Include your full name, return address, phone number, and email at the top of the letter.
- Use a formal salutation including the appropriate prefix and suffix. DO NOT use first names (For example Dear Dr. and Mrs. Jones).
- Be sure to reference the specific scholarship that you received, but NOT the amount.
- Always proofread! Try reading it aloud before sending it off.
- Please drop off, send, or email a copy of the letter to:
Undergraduate and Prestigious Scholarships
2128 Dutton Hall
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
- If you have questions or if you need help in composing your thank you letter, please contact our office.
Thank-You Letter Content
- You should tell the donor(s) a little bit about yourself, including:
- Your hometown
- Family background
- Experiences and life situations that led you to pursue a degree at UC Davis
- You should also include some information about your current situation, such as:
- What you are studying at UC Davis
- What you are involved in both on- and off-campus
- Research and/or internships in which you have taken part
- Describe how the scholarship support will help you meet, or exceed, your educational goals
- Finally, you may want to talk about your future plans, like:
- What you hope to accomplish while still a UC Davis student
- What your plans are after graduation, graduate school, or career aspirations