As a first year student, you have so many options available to you that it can be tough to know where to begin. If you are interested in prestigious scholarships, there are plenty of things you can start doing now to prepare for your future applications. Prestigious scholarships are incredibly competitive, but if you start preparing early it will put you in a good position to win! Start by:
- Taking courses that will develop your academic interests and provide clarity for your career goals.
- Getting to know your advisors and faculty – this can provide mentoring and build a relationship that will allow faculty and advisors to support your applications with a letter of recommendation.
- Joining campus clubs or volunteer with service organizations – focus on meaningful leadership or civic/public service opportunities that relate to your interests.
- Visiting the Internship and Career Center (ICC) for guidance on resumes. Build a detailed resume of your activities, awards, research, etc.
- Scheduling an appointment with the prestigious scholarship advisor to discuss career goals, identify suitable scholarships, and to develop a plan to strengthen your application.
Prestigious scholarships you can apply for:
Planning for next year:
Check out the Donald A. Strauss Scholarship, the Charles B. Rangel Summer Enrichment Program, and the Udall Scholarship, and decide if you will apply as a second year student. The foundation websites are an excellent resource to help determine if either of these scholarships are a good fit for you. Interested students should review what each scholarship foundation is looking for in a candidate. Also be sure to look at the sample proposals and applications provided.