Art student in painting studio with easels

Important Updates


This information is subject to change. Please check back often for updates. For questions relating to how the Coronavirus pandemic may affect your financial aid, please see COVID-19 FAQs.

  • How would a transition to Pass/No Pass grading for the spring 2020 quarter affect my financial aid?  
  • The transition to a Pass/No Pass (or Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory) grading system has the capacity to affect your Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements. The deadline to decide which grading option you prefer has been extended to the last day of instruction for spring 2020, June 4, 2020.

    For students who opt to take letter grades, there will be no changes to the SAP process.

    For students who opt to take a P/NP/S/U versus a letter grade, the following applies:

         • PACE: We only look at the units, not the specific letter grade. These units would still count towards PACE.
         • Maximum Timeframe: We only look at the units, not the specific letter grade. These units would still count towards the student’s Maximum Timeframe.
         • GPA: P/NP/S/U grades are not factored into GPA calculations. Therefore, if the student takes all P/NP/S/U courses they would have no GPA for the quarter. If they have a course with a letter grade, their GPA would be based on that course only for the quarter.

    Students who do not meet the required SAP terms based on spring coursework can appeal for fall aid consideration. The change to P/NP/S/U grading would affect the GPA portion of the SAP terms. For more information, visit Office of the University Registrar's P/NP or S/U Grading Options.

  • Must I appeal if I am not meeting SAP standards?
  • Appealing for aid consideration is optional, however, approval of your appeal is not guaranteed and decisions are made on a case-by-case basis.
  • What happens if I cannot submit my appeal and supporting documents by the SAP appeal deadline?
  • It is important that you submit your complete appeal by the deadline.  However, if you need to submit additional documents, please send them through Contact An Expert. Please note, new documents may delay the final decision.
  • How long does it take to hear back from the SAP Appeal Board?
  • The review process typically begins after the SAP appeal deadline and can take up to 6-8 weeks for fall review and 4-6 weeks for winter and spring.  Please note: Appeals are reviewed in the order received.
  • If my appeal is denied, or if I choose not to appeal, are there any other aid options?
  • Some other payment options may include:
     - Cash/Debit/Credit
     - Deferred Payment Plan
     - Alternative loans
  • I received a denial notification in July.  I am now in good academic standing after taking summer courses will I receive my aid for fall?
  • If you want to be considered for financial aid, you will need to submit an appeal. You may demonstrate your summer grades/progress as a point in your appeal.
  • What if my Graduation Plan is different than the one I submitted with my original SAP appeal?
  • You must submit a new SAP Appeal.
  • I have had a grade change. Will my SAP progress be reevaluated?
  • Once the grade change is official through the Office of the University Registrar (OUR), please contact our office through Contact An Expert and request a reevaluation of your SAP status.
  • I will not be able to meet the Probation Contract given to me by the SAP Board (Example: Complete and pass 12 units, 2.0 cumulative GPA). Is there any way I can still receive my funds for subsequent terms?
  • If you will not meet the Probation Contract, a new appeal must be submitted for the subsequent term to be considered for aid. You will need to explain in detail why you did not meet the contract.
  • If I am dismissed from the university, does that mean I am not maintaining SAP?
  • Not necessarily. You can now log into your MyAwards to check your Academic Progress as of the last annual evaluation which is in July.
  • What can I do if my SAP appeal was denied?
  • A Secondary Appeal may be considered. When doing so, be sure to submit your new and/or additional extenuating circumstances that explain/demonstrate why you were not able to maintain SAP. The decision on a Secondary Appeal is final.
  • What happens if my SAP appeal is approved?
  • Students with an approved appeal are placed on a probation contract. Once the Financial Aid Office determines the probation contract was met for the term, you will return to good SAP status for the remainder of the academic year. If the probation contract was not met during the term, financial aid will be canceled for the subsequent term(s).
  • Does the minimum progress waiver exempt me from meeting Financial Aid SAP Standards? 
  • No. However, students not meeting SAP Standards at the annual evaluation in July may submit an appeal, including a copy of the Minimum Progress waiver. 
  • I did not complete the units specified in my Financial Aid Probation Contract, but my Dean's Office allowed me to stay at UC Davis...what can I do?
  • You can submit a new appeal. Remember to include supporting documentation, such as a revised contract with your Dean's Office. 
  • I have not been enrolled as a student for a few years and am now planning to return for the fall quarter.  I was not meeting SAP when I left, will I now qualify for financial aid?
  • First, check MyAwards under the "Academic Progress" tab to see your current SAP status. If you can't get into MyAwards you can check with Financial Aid and Scholarships. If you are not maintaining SAP standards, you can submit a SAP Appeal.
  • When should I submit my SAP appeal if I am seeking readmission?
  • If you are seeking readmission we recommend submitting your SAP appeal by the published deadlines. Do not wait until you are officially readmitted to submit your SAP appeal. While we cannot process the appeal until after readmission, this will ensure you meet the appeal deadlines.
  • I am a graduate student working as a TA. Will being in bad SAP prevent me from receiving my TA funds?
  • Being in unsatisfactory academic standing affects federal, state, and institutional aid. Students receiving TA funding will not be affected by being in unsatisfactory academic standing.