Dates and Deadlines
Application Status: Closed
Schwarzman Scholars receive a full scholarship for a one-year MA in Global Affairs at Tsinghua University in Beijing, China. The funding covers: tuition and fees, room and board, round trip airfare, in-country program excursions, books and supplies, laptop and smartphone, health insurance, and stipend.
Up to 200 Schwarzman Scholars will study and live at Schwarzman College in Tsinghua University. Schwarzman Scholars will all partake in a core curriculum focusing on Public Policy, Economics and Business, or International Relations. All classes will be conducted in English.
Additionally, they receive extensive leadership development, mentorship, and cultural opportunities and excursions to experience China. Leadership is a primary focus of the Schwarzman Scholars program and will be “the distinguishing factor for successful candidates.”
- Citizens from any country may apply. The selected scholars will be 45% from the U.S. 20% from China, and 35% from the rest of the world.
- 18-28 years old as of June 30th of the year student would begin as a Schwarzman Scholar.
- Completion of undergraduate degree before starting at Tsinghua University.
- Academic excellence. While GPA is not defined, students should be “among the top students in their graduating class”.
- Must be proficient in the English language.
- Be near the top of their undergraduate class;
- Have an interest in China (though previous experience in China or the ability to speak Chinese is not a requirement);
- Plan to study in one of the Schwarzman Scholars focus areas;
- Have an extensive record of leadership; and
- A clear idea of their future career goals and how participating in the Schwarzman Scholars program will help achieve their goals.
Applicants need to have three (3) outstanding letters of recommendation to apply. If applying while still enrolled at UC Davis or as recent alumni it is expected that two (2) of the letters should come from faculty. If applying after graduating several years ago, it is likely that all three letters will be from outside of academia. All applicants must have at least one letter that speaks about the leadership experience contained in the application essay.
Applicants may apply directly to the Schwarzman Scholarship through their website. Applicants seeking advising should contact Scott Palmer to set up a meeting. If you wish to have your application reviewed, send it to Scott Palmer at least one month prior to the deadline.