Important Updates

  • If you have been selected for verification, the deadline is June 15, 2023.  Please review your email for instructions.
  • For California Middle Class Scholarship updates, please visit MCS.
  • For Biden-Harris Administration’s Student Debt Relief information, please visit Apply for Federal Student Loan Debt Relief.

Summer Canceling or Withdrawing

Before deciding to cancel or withdraw from classes or from a summer session, it is important to understand the potential impact on financial aid. Withdrawing from a summer session may affect aid eligibility for other summer session(s), which could result in a bill for a portion, or all aid received. Students are responsible for managing any refund received for all expenses while attending summer session(s).

The recalculation of financial aid in the summer is based on several factors:

  • Withdrawing from the entire summer term
  • Dropping one session
  • Reducing units within a session
  • Dropping one session but adding or keeping another session
  • Receiving all non-passing grades for a session

We recommend students discuss the decision about dropping courses or withdrawing with their college or major advisor and Financial Aid and Scholarships before taking any action. 

Be Informed Before Making a Decision

A student's financial aid award is based on the number of units for which they initially enrolled. Any reduction in units could result in a change in eligibility and loss of aid. For more information, visit Return of Title IV Funds and Refund Policies as well as information on Withdrawing or Dropping Coursework during summer. 

Cancellation or Withdrawal from Summer Sessions

If a student wishes to cancel or withdraw from any session it is important to understand the potential impact on financial aid. Students cancel summer enrollment through the online Cancellation/Withdrawal Form available from the Office of the University Registrar to officially complete this process. Failure to pay summer fees does not replace the cancellation/withdrawal process. Students will remain liable for any outstanding balances. If dismissed or administratively withdrawn, a Summer Enrollment Change form will be emailed.

Students may be required to return financial aid funds received based on the official date of cancellation or withdrawal. For important information on this process, please refer to the Return of Title IV Funds and Refund Policies section of our website as well as information on Withdrawing or Dropping Coursework during summer.

Dropping a Course(s)

Even if a student is not completely withdrawing from all summer sessions, changes in enrollment in summer courses may affect the amount of aid eligibility. Students should submit a Summer Change in Aid form (available in May), located in the awards tab of the MyAwards portal, to notify Financial Aid and Scholarships of a change in enrollment. This may result in a bill if the student received aid for which they are no longer eligible.