Students at a table with several laptops open

Important Updates

  • In observance of Juneteenth, Financial Aid and Scholarships will be closed on Wednesday, June 19, 2024
  • The Department of Education has announced they will send information from the 2024-25 FAFSA to schools in mid-March. This may result in a delay in financial aid packaging and offers for the 2024-25 academic year. While awaiting your financial aid offer, we encourage you to utilize the UC Davis Financial Aid Estimator to estimate your potential aid.

Learning-Aligned Employment Program

The Learning-Aligned Employment Program (LAEP) offers eligible undergraduate students at UC Davis the opportunity to earn money to help offset their educational costs while gaining education-aligned, career-related employment in research. LAEP aid is a type of work-study designed to subsidize student employment wages to provide staff and faculty the means to hire undergraduate students with financial need for research jobs. LAEP funds are disbursed through an eligible student’s paycheck when employed in permitted UC Davis research. UC Davis began piloting the program in 2022.

  • The State of California will be in a budget shortfall for 2024-25 and 2025-26. The May Revision of the budget calls for a cut to many one-time programs which includes the Learning Aligned Employment Program (LAEP). Therefore, LAEP aid for the 2024-25 aid year is not guaranteed and is on hold pending the final budget in mid-June. LAEP is no longer funding new 2023-24 employment but will continue to fund those students currently established in a LAEP position until June 30, 2024.

  • Pending a budget cut to LAEP, undergraduate students and staff/faculty may want to consider Federal or Institutional Work-Study to fund research employment for the 2024-25 aid year. Eligible students can receive up to $4,000 in work-study aid to subsidize student employment costs. More aid may be available on exception. Work-study subsidizes 75% of a student’s wage and the hiring department is responsible for funding the remaining 25%. 

Employers can learn more about how to utilize work-study funding for research positions at Work-Study for UC Davis Employers