Non-California Residents

Financial Aid Information for Non-California Residents

It is important that Non-California residents arrive at UC Davis with sufficient funds to cover tuition and fees, as well as expenses such as room and board, books and supplies, personal expenses and transportation. Please visit our Undergraduate Cost of Attendance webpage for current figures. It is critical that students have the funds necessary for every year that they attend UC Davis. Non-California residents are eligible for federal financial aid based on their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), but state and university need-based funding is not available. To help non-California families meet this funding requirement, we have provided a list of possible financial resources below:

  • All entering students are automatically considered for institutional scholarships based on their UC Application for Admission and Scholarships. We strongly encourage continuing students to apply each year for our campus-based scholarships; the application opens annually on October 1. For information on institutional scholarship funds, please visit the Undergraduate and Prestigious Scholarships webpage.
  • For your convenience, our office maintains an extended list of outside scholarship opportunities, which are sorted based on the area of interest. For a list of available scholarships, please visit our Outside Scholarships webpage.
  • The University of California maintains information on external private lenders. Please visit our Alternative Loans webpage for important information, and refer to the UC Private Lender List link at the bottom of that webpage for access to available lenders.
  • For information on emergency and short-term loans, please visit our Emergency, Short-Term and Assistant Loan webpage.
  • For information on the financial aid application process, please visit our Apply for Financial Aid webpage.

For tuition purposes, California residency is determined by residence deputies in the Office of the University Registrar, independent from the Admissions and Financial Aid and Scholarships offices. The UC residence policy considers the state of residence of students, and their supporting parents, to determine California residence for tuition purposes. The process of obtaining California residency status may be very difficult for non-California resident students. For information on establishing California residence for tuition purposes, please visit the Office of the University Registrar website.

If you are seeking admission to UC Davis as an undergraduate student, please visit Undergraduate Admissions for important information on the application process.