Emergency, Short-Term, and Assistant Loans
If you are experiencing a temporary shortage of funds, you may request an Emergency, Short-Term or Assistant loan (graduate students only). Requests are limited to costs related to educational expenses as found in the Cost of Attendance. The application is available Monday through Friday while each term is in session, excluding holidays. Appointment times will be scheduled from 10 am through 2 pm. Borrowers will report to the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office, during the scheduled appointment date and time to complete the application process. For students who apply after 2:00 p.m., appointments are scheduled for the next available date and time. Students with appointments after 1:30 p.m. there may be a delay in the refund until the following check-write date. Loans are not available during quarter breaks. See Important Dates below for availability of funds.
It is important to read this disclosure regarding institutional loans prior to applying.
Review the following information before completing the application process:
- You are a currently enrolled graduate or undergraduate student at UC Davis during the quarter funds are requested.
- You must be available to sign documents in person at the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office.
- You are not within 30 days of graduation, or the end of the academic year.
- You do not owe a prior-year debt to the University.
- You have not failed to pay, made late payments, or been referred to a collection agency on a prior Emergency, Short-Term or Assistant loan.
- You do not have any holds on your student account.
- You do not have any outstanding Emergency, Short-Term or Assistant loan in repayment.
* Health Systems or Veterinary Medicine students should apply at their respective schools. The Law school does not currently offer these loan resources.
Loan Types & Limits
- Maximum amount is $500. Actual loan amount is subject to approval based on repayment source.
- The loan must be paid back within 30 days.
- Not available during summer terms for graduate students.
- Maximum amount is $1,500. Actual loan amount is subject to approval based on repayment source.
- The loan must be paid back within 30 days. Graduate repayment schedules vary by exception, according to the source of repayment.
- Not available during summer terms.
Graduate Assistant Loan
- Maximum amount is $1,500, but may not exceed one month’s salary.
- Only Teaching Assistants, Graduate Student Researchers, Associate Instructors, and Post-Graduate Researchers are eligible.
- Maximum repayment period is six months, the end of the academic year, or graduation, whichever comes first.
- Not available during summer terms.
Students may apply for one Short-term or Assistant loan per quarter. Students that take out a Short-Term or Assistant loan may be eligible to apply for a second loan through the Emergency, Short-Term and Assistant loan program. A financial aid representative will contact the applicant to discuss the request, and will require a signed written statement of appeal during the scheduled appointment.
- Students are limited to one Emergency loan and one Short-Term or Assistant loan per quarter or at any given time.
- Students that currently have an amount owing on their student account greater than $300 are not eligible for the loan.
Sources of Repayment
- Financial Aid: The accepted award amount in MyAwards is enough to cover the current outstanding balance on the student's account as well as the amount of the Short-Term or Assistant loan.
- Your Parents: You will be asked to provide a signed statement from your parents. Option is only available to dependent undergraduates.
- Employment or Teaching Assistant Positions: A Job Verification Letter will be required. Please use either the on-campus or off-campus letter based on your employer.
- VA Benefits: Provide a letter from the Veteran's Affairs Office verifying benefits.
Signature and I.D. Requirements
- You select your appointment date and time during the loan application process. Be sure to include a valid phone number on the application where you can be contacted should there be any need to reschedule.
- Please bring your UC Davis Student ID and valid State ID, Driver's License or US Passport to 1100 Dutton Hall during your scheduled appointment.
- If the loan is approved, additional loan documentation will be required for non-financial aid repayment sources. An appointment time will be scheduled for you to complete a Promissory Note and Truth-In-Lending Statement.
- Emergency Loans: You will receive a cash voucher from the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office. Redeem the voucher at the Cashier's Office, 1200 Dutton Hall, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Short-Term and Assistant Loans: Your refund will be processed by Student Accounting within 2-3 business days. Their office is located at 2100 Dutton Hall, from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday - Friday. You can also reach them at (530) 752-3646.
- Read the promissory note for specific payment scheduled information and visit the Accounting & Financial Services website for instructions on how to make payments. Payments due on a weekend or holiday should be made on the last work day before the due date.
- Payments can be made in person at: Cashier's Office, 1200 Dutton Hall, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m., Monday - Friday, or mailed to the Cashier's Office, UC Davis, PO Box 989062, West Sacramento, CA 95798-9062. Make checks payable to UC Regents and write your student ID # on the check.
- Emergency loan repayments cannot be changed or rescheduled.
- If you have difficulty making a Short-Term or Assistant loan payment by the scheduled date, contact Student Accounting, 2100 Dutton Hall, from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday - Friday at (530) 752-3646.
- Keep the receipts for all loan payments. You may have to present them before obtaining another loan.
Emergency, Short-Term and Assistant loan applications are available to students on the following dates each quarter:
|Term||Undegraduate Students||Graduate Students|
|Fall Quarter 2018||August 27||August 27|
|Winter Quarter 2019||November 28||November 28|
|Spring Quarter 2019||March 2||March 2|
|2019 Summer Session 1 or both sessions||June 24||Not available during summer|
|2019 Special Session||June 24||Not available during summer|
|2019 Summer Session 2||August 5||Not available during summer|
See our Calendar for final deadlines to apply for Emergency and Short-Term Loans for the perspective quarter.
This step-by-step application will guide you through the process of submitting your application. Before you begin, please take a moment to read the important information above as well as the Terms and Conditions. Once submitted, your application will be reviewed by a specialist who will determine your eligibility. Access the application using the link below:
Please note: Summer Emergency Loans applications are only available to undergraduate students enrolled in one or more summer sessions.