Native American graduate with mortarboard

Important Updates

  • In observance of Cesar Chavez Day, Financial Aid and Scholarships will be closed on Friday, March 31, 2023
  • For California Middle Class Scholarship updates, please visit MCS.
  • For Biden-Harris Administration’s Student Debt Relief information, please visit Apply for Federal Student Loan Debt Relief.

UC Native American Opportunity Plan

What is the UC Native American Opportunity Plan?

The UC Native American Opportunity Plan (UCNAOP) ensures that in-state systemwide Tuition and Student Services Fees are fully covered for California undergraduate and graduate students who are enrolled in federally recognized Native American, American Indian, and/or Alaska Native tribes. 

If an eligible student's total current aid from grants and/or scholarships equals or exceeds the UC systemwide tuition and fees, then the Native American Opportunity Plan promise has been satisfied. However, if a student's aid from these sources does not fully cover the UC systemwide tuition and fees, the Native American Opportunity Plan will make up the difference with UC grant funding.

What are the eligibility requirements?

To be eligible for the UC Native American Opportunity Plan, students must meet all of the following criteria:

  1. Must be a current or newly admitted University of California undergraduate, graduate, or professional school student.
  2. Must be a California Resident.
  3. Must be an enrolled member in a federally recognized Native American, American Indian, and/or Alaska Native tribe.
  4. Must be enrolled in a state-supported UC degree program (i.e., students in self-supporting and certificate programs do not qualify*).
  5. Must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application (CADAA) (new undergraduates only).

*Other resources may be available to support these programs. For more information, contact your program.

How Do I Affirm and Provide Proof of Tribal Enrollment?

Documentation of tribal enrollment may include any of the following:

  • Certification of tribal enrollment on tribal letterhead.
  • Enrollment/membership card that contains the tribal seal and/or official signature of a tribal leader.
  • Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood (CDIB) if the CDIB includes tribal enrollment information.
  • Tribal identification card with an enrollment number. You must also submit tribal contact information (address, phone, and email) if it is not evident in the submitted documentation.

Please allow 5-10 business days for the documents to be reviewed.  

What kind of support will be available to Native American students from non-federally recognized tribes? 

The University of California consulted with tribal leaders to develop the UC Native American Opportunity Plan. This consultation included discussions on how to benefit all Native American students, including those from non-federally recognized tribes. California’s Native American tribes and other external organizations may provide scholarships to Native American students who are not members of a federally recognized tribe.

The Federated Indians of Graton Rancheria recently announced a scholarship fund that will cover UC tuition and mandatory fees for eligible California Native American students. Learn more about the Federated Indians of Graton Rancheria Scholarship Fund. Scholarship applications for the 2023-24 academic year are due by July 15.

Additional Information and FAQs

Visit University of California's Native American Opportunity Plan.

Have Questions?

Contact Us